RE: IDS v7 -> v9 upgrades
Posted in 2004
Topics: Installation, Setup & Upgrades, Licensing & Editions
We are evaluating moving to 9.40 from 7.31.fd5. Our application is Baan IVc4. some points we are considering. a) In 2006, will the move from 7.31 to latest 9 version be a bigger undertaking than 7.31 to 9.4? b)Baan/9.4 supports level 2 indexes (no more hash fields). For non-Baan, level 1 driver creates a new field 'hash' for each index on a table, then adds index on that field. This requires tons extra space. c)Future versions of Baan and its 'preferred' db version? Andy Bent >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org >[mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Neil Truby >Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 12:02 PM >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: IDS v7 -> v9 upgrades > >Can anyone summarise the reasons why customers should do this soon? >IDS v7 supports ends in April 2006. >If I were an IDS v7 customer I'd see no great reason to hurry. > I'd wait and >see if IBM scraps the licence uplift cost as we get nearer the time. >But I'd be interested in arguments to the contrary. > >-- >Neil Truby t:01932 724027 >Director m:07798 811708 >Ardenta Limited e:neil.truby@ardenta.com > > > > sending to informix-list
yes, point one is a good one i hadn;t thought of. on the other hand, will ibm eventually abandon their policy of charging for this upgrade? if you're looking at 9.40 now and your risk-adverse, see andy watson's post last night. "Bent_Andy" <abent@aetinc.com> wrote in message news:c10de1$jp1$1@terabinaries.xmission.com... > > We are evaluating moving to 9.40 from 7.31.fd5. Our application is Baan > IVc4. > > some points we are considering. > > a) In 2006, will the move from 7.31 to latest 9 version be a bigger > undertaking than 7.31 to 9.4? > > b)Baan/9.4 supports level 2 indexes (no more hash fields). For > non-Baan, level 1 driver creates a new field 'hash' for each index on a > table, then adds index on that field. This requires tons extra space. > > c)Future versions of Baan and its 'preferred' db version? > > Andy Bent > > >-----Original Message----- > >From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > >[mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Neil Truby > >Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 12:02 PM > >To: informix-list@iiug.org > >Subject: IDS v7 -> v9 upgrades > > > >Can anyone summarise the reasons why customers should do this soon? > >IDS v7 supports ends in April 2006. > >If I were an IDS v7 customer I'd see no great reason to hurry. > > I'd wait and > >see if IBM scraps the licence uplift cost as we get nearer the time. > >But I'd be interested in arguments to the contrary. > > > >-- > >Neil Truby t:01932 724027 > >Director m:07798 811708 > >Ardenta Limited e:neil.truby@ardenta.com > > > > > > > > > > sending to informix-list